Blog Background

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Are you in the Lord's Army?


                               

Forgive me if you are used to all my pictures and such on the blog.  This will be more of a blog on my thoughts on Patriotism mixed with my notes from an amazing sermon on Veteran's Day by Pastor Fleming.  I was inspired by a blog my sister wrote around election time and then the sermon for Veteran's Day just hit home.  I basically want my kids to know how important our  country is and how blessed we are to have what we have. 
 
I consider myself a patriotic person.  I love my country, I support our troops, and most importantly I pray for our brothers and sisters fighting for us.  I still cry when our flag goes up, and it always makes me smile when I see our flags flying in multitudes on patriotic days.  I love the great US of A!  
 
My favorite Patriotic memory was when I was over seas in Australia student teaching.  It was not too long after Sept 11 and we were home sick.  We had heard that President Bush would be speaking to our nation that day, but we were busy teaching and made plans to call home that night to get the news.  To our surprise, the Head Master at Camp Hill Primary where we were teaching came and got us out of class.  He took us to a private room with a TV tuned in and waiting for our President to speak.  I remember him saying that he knew us Americans loved our country and he wanted to respect the fact that our leader would be addressing us soon...even if we were across the ocean.  I remember feeling alone and missing my family, but blessed to love my country as he described.  Not long after, President Bush came on the TV and delivered the message that we were declaring war.  Tears were streaming down all our faces.  A few weeks passed and on our last morning at Camp Hill, they honored us 7 Americans in a way I will never forget.  For 6 weeks we had heard their national anthem play every morning and watched their flag raise as their children saluted.  This morning, we were SHOCKED when we heard our anthem start playing.  Immediately, we held our hearts and watched as they raised OUR flag first.  The children saluted as they had been taught and cheered so loud when it was at the top of the flag pole.  Later we learned that the head master had contacted the US Embassy and borrowed a flag for this special occasion.  It was something I will never forget, and I have never been so proud of our country and what we stand for. 
 
I have often thought about what soldiers think and pray while they are serving us.  Do they know that we are over here praying for them?  Do they know that God is with them?  Are they in the Lord's Army?
 
2 Tim 2:3-4 
"Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.  Soldiers don't get tied up  in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them." 
 
A few things that Pastor Fleming noted during our Veteran's Day sermon:
1- know what side you are on
2- always be ready and prepared.  Put on the armor of God and stand against evil.
3- the greatest weapon for warfare is on our knees
4- be motivated by your mission.  Know why you do what you do, what your purpose is and   why.
5- be ready to hear "well done my good and faithful servant"
6- be prepared to pay the price for victory
 
One of the first messages from the US Seal team after the night they took out Bin Laden was "Charlie Mike".  This message means more than a name, it was code for continue mission.  This is a good reminder to us that even after a great victory, there is always more work to be done.  Our lives should be living for a "Charlie Mike".  
 
Here are a few things I want to pass on to Cade/Caelin for them to always remember.
1- Be a good soldier for the Lord.  Do what is right and work hard for it.  This is where I hear      the country song singing "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.  You've got to be your own man, not a puppet  on a string.  Never compromise what's right, never forge your family name.  You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."
2- Be patriotic and love/support your country.  There are sure to be times when our leaders   may disappoint us,   but be that American that never speaks wrong about our country.  You can most certainly voice your concerns to this close to you, but never turn your back on OUR team.  This includes any team, group, or community you are a part of.  Be a good soldier and a team player at all cost.
3- VOTE! Your family has fought for this right and it is an honor to do so.  When you vote, be  educated and know why you are voting the way you are.
4- Be proud knowing your heritage and where you came from.  Our family has several members that have served our country and fought for what we have today.  
·         Rex Parks (Grandfather) served in the Army 
·         Barney Lee Watts (Great Grandpa) fighting in 4 overseas theaters as a Medic during the most horrific battles of WWII
·         Charles Harvey Hall (Great Grandfather) fought in WWII
·         Charlie Parks (Your Great Uncle) was a captured POW during WWII and was              released at the end of the war from a German prison
·         Mack McCharen (great Uncle) flew a medical helicopter
·         Donald Earl LeCour (your Great Grandpa) and his twin Doyle were in the Navy
·         Charles Bailey (your Great Uncle) was in the Army
5- ALWAYS soldier on.  Our mission is never over, just soldier on.

No comments: