Blog Background

Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Blooming Legacy



Today was the usual weekend routine. With the beautiful weather, we cleaned house, washed cars, and did the yard. As I was helping, I realized that I have quite a legacy right in my front yard!
The first picture is of a type of red bloomed lily that my Grandma LeCour "Mumps" loved. She called them "surprise flowers" and loved it when they bloomed. When Mumps passed away, Charles and I dug up about 5 bulbs and brought them to our house in hopes that we too could have "surprise flowers". They have done very well as you can see and bloom a few times a year. I was surprised when they bloomed the day before Hurricane Ike. Only to learn after the hurricane that they are called "Hurricane Lillies" according to the Houston Chronicle. Although they are beautiful, hopefully next time they bloom...it will not be due to a hurricane!
The next picture is also a tale of a legacy. As my sis wrote on her blog, Many years ago, my Grandpa and Grandma Parks planted some lillies in their yard in Lubbock, TX. After Grandpa passed away in 1994 and Grandma moved to a smaller home, my Dad uprooted some of the lilies in Grandpa and Grandma's yard and transplanted them into his yard. If you don't already know, bulbs are very hearty and multiply super quick. After about 8 years at Mom and Dad's house, their original 8 or so had become several DOZEN. 5 years ago when my sis and hubby bought their home, Dad uprooted some of his lilies and shared them with them. A few months ago, Charles and i decided that we should have some at our house. We planted some in our walkway, and as you can see they are quite healthy! They only bloom about twice a year, and they always make me smile and think of him when I see them. These are some amazing "generational" lilies, passed down 3 generations, and they have survived at least 15 years.
So, Thanks to Grandma "Mumps" LeCour and Grandpa Parks, we have a beautiful yard that makes us smile every day! We miss you both and love you.

4 comments:

Mike and Suzi :) said...

Beautiful!

Mendy said...

I love the red ones from Mumps!

Jaime said...

I love the flowers in the top pic...I had never seen them until this past weekend at Roundtop. (I'm not that great at gardening.)

M & M said...

I love the fact that they are called "Hurricane Lilies"!