Blog Background

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Making Caelin's food...

So, I got on a little kick and thought it might be a money saver to make Caelin's food. So, I bought ($40) a "Baby Bullet" from a friend and got to making some food! It was easy with recipes that come with the machine. Depending on what foods you are making, you can use fresh food items, or you may have to steam some items. We made Avocado (you just put fresh in there and hit blend) and Pears/Peaches/Broccoli (have to steam these first). Now we did spend 2 hours to complete all this, but provided baby food for 3 weeks!


Once you puree the foods, you simply pour directly into the containers they provided, or into a 2oz silicone shell that freezes the food! Once it is frozen, you pop it out like a popsicle and store in bags in your freezer. So easy! And, for you nerds out there, I am aware that I mispelled "avocado"...good thing my freezer can't spell!


All we used were: 2 avocados, 2 pears, 3 peaches, and a bag of fresh broccoli. Total Grocery wise these ingredients were under $10. So, $10 for 3 weeks of food. I average about $1.50/day to feed Caelin with store bought food (I ALWAYS use coupons with), which is about $32 for 3 weeks of food. So...here is the bottom line: IF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN FOOD, YOU CAN SAVE ABOUT $40 PER MONTH. I am sold!


3 comments:

KSKH said...

You are a very smart Momma. I did the same thing with my kids :)

Carolyn said...

Stacy- you'll have to send me your recipes and tips! I'm using a baby recipe book and doing basically the same thing with our food processor and tiny silicone ice cube tray- so our frozen bits are much smaller. How much are you feeding Caelin per feeding?

Ronan Searle said...

I just started to use my baby bullet and LOVE it! Hopefully after Grant gets over his pneumonia then we can start him back on more new foods.