Blog Background

Friday, March 24, 2017

Off to the ER

Last night I started feeling terrible and having chest pains.  It became hard for me to lay down or breathe.  I did the usual things I could think of believing it was possibly just sore muscles and tried to sleep the best I could.  At 8am this morning I called and left a message for Dr. Leahy's nurse requesting updated pain meds and wanted to inquire about the pain I was having in my chest.  I was able to speak in short sentences, but my breathing was very labored.  By 1:00 pm I still had not heard from the doctor and I was getting significantly worse.  I called the doc again and was able to speak to the nurse.  By this point, I was only able to say 2-3 words and was wheezing and struggling to keep my breath.  Every breath I took was painful and no positioning helped with the pain.  he nurse suggested I go to the ER.  I hesitated for sure, but finally got Charles to come get me.  We went to the ER and they did a complete battery of assessments.  I was beginning to get frustrated as results from Blood work, chest xray, DVTE testing of legs, and urine testing were coming back normal.  I continued to be in pain despite a morphine drip.  Finally, we got the results from the CT scan of the chest.  Results showed I had numerous Pulmonary Embolisms in my right and left lungs as well as 5 major arteries in my chest.  Needless to say, it was very life threatening and things began to move very quickly.  Doc's prepared me to stay 4-10 days in the hospital and I was started on Warfarin and Lovenox shots asap.  It was a very long and painful night of prayer.  I remember at one point thinking that I was ok with dying and would see Jesus and Daddy very soon.  I do believe as silly as it sounds that I was that close to death.  At one point I even told Charles we need to get paper to do a will.  I have never felt those feelings before and I did not hear any voices or see bright lights as some report.  I just remember a very calm feeling coming over me and my own voice saying in my head that "things are going to be ok and to not be afraid of what might come."  I rested while I could through the pain and waited.

No comments: